|The main dates|
|In 1372 the name of the town was mentioned for the first time in written sources – namely in „Livonian Chronicle“ by Hermann de Wartberge.|
In about 1447 the owner of Kėdainiai became Radvila Astikaitis the Marshal of the estates of the Grand Dukes of Lithuania – Vytautas and Casimir Jagiellonian. From that period until 1886 Kėdainiai was a private town.
During 1460 – 1480 the first Gothic St. Jurgis (St. George) church was built in Kėdainiai.
In 1471 Kėdainiai was mentioned as one of the five cities of Lithuania which traded with Hanza merchants of a famous trading union in Europe.
In about 1527 in Babėnai, a place near Kėdainiai, Mikalojus Daukša was born. He is best known for his Polish translation and the preface for the first Lithuanian catechism, which was prepared and published in the Grand Duchy of Lithuania.
In 1549 the town became one of the first and most active centres of Reformation in the Grand Duchy of Lithuania.
In 1590 it was granted Magdeburg rights, by which the town gained the right of self-rule.
In 1614 Kėdainiai again went into the ownership of the Radvilos.
In 1625 the Duke Kristupas II Radvila established the school which in 1647 became „Šviesioji“ gymnasium.
In 1627 Kristupas II Radvila confirmed the previous rights to the town of Kedainiai and granted a new (current) coat of arms.
In 1627 the agreement of peaceful coexistence was signed, which recognized the equality of evangelical reformed and Catholic religions in Kėdainiai.
In 1636 one of the first pharmacies in Lithuania was established in Kėdainiai
In 1648 the suburb of Kėdainiai Jonušava was given the rights of autonomy and was allowed to have the coat of arms. Two legally enacted communities began their existence in Kėdainiai: The Old Kėdainiai, which constituted of Evangelical Reformats and The New Kėdainiai, constituted of Evangelical Lutherans.
In 1653 the largest publication in the Lithuanian language „Kniga nobažnistės krikščioniškos“ was published in Kėdainiai in Joachimas Jurgis Rhetto’s printing house.
In 1655 in Kėdainiai negotiations with representatives of Sweden were initiated and on 20 October they ended in a signed document – the Treaty between Sweden and Lithuania.
In 1701 Sweden army destroyed the Radvila Palace.
In 1709 Carmelite monks (white friars) started penetrating into Kėdainiai.
In 1709 – 1711 Kėdainiai was ravaged by a plague.
In 1727 Elijahu ben Solomon Zalman arrived from Vilnius to Kėdainiai to study the Talmud. Later he became famous all over the world under the name of Gaon Elijahu of Vilnius.
In 1731 Jeronimas Florijonas Radvila the member of the catholic Nesvyžius branch became the owner of Kėdainiai . The Catholics gained importance in the protestant town.
In 1765 Kėdainiai together with with Raseiniai belonged to the second category of GDL cities.
In 1795 after the collapse of The Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth, Kėdainiai lost its autonomy.
In 1811 the town went to the ownership of the Counts Čapskiai.
In 1817 Kėdainiai became the centre of parish.
In 1831 insurrections against Tsar regime also affected Kėdainiai directly.
In 1863 Antanas Mackevičius the priest of Paberžė church was one of the firsts who stared revolting against the regime of Tsar.
In 1866 Kėdainiai went to Count E. Totleben.
In 1871 Liepoja – Romnai railway through Kėdainiai was built.
In 1886 Kėdainiai estate was separated from the town. Kėdainiai regained autonomy.
On 11 November in 1918 Kėdainiai became the centre of the Independence restoring in Lithuania.
In 1919 near Kėdainiai the first battles of Independence were taking place, during which our fellow-countryman Povilas Lukšys. He was the first killed Lithuanian volunteer.
In 1922, in Dotnuva the first the selection station was established in Lithuania. In the same year one of the first museums of independent Lithuania was established in Kėdainiai.
In 1941 during the Soviet occupation 378 residents of Kėdainiai were exiled to Siberia.
On 28 August of the same year Nazis and their collaborators gunned down 2076 Jews of Kėdainiai and destroyed their community that had existed for longer than 400 years.
In 1944, on 2 August, Kėdainiai was occupied by the Soviet army.
In 1944 – 1953, in the district of Kėdainiai the partisan war against Soviet occupiers was taking place. The most famous partisan groups were „Vytis“, United Kęstutis, „Prisikėlimas“.
In 1947 collective farm named after Marija Melnikaitė was established in Kėdainiai district.
In 1959 in Kėdainiai the building of the largest chemical factory (now -Lifosa) in Lithuania was started. The town began its Industrialization.
In 1988, on July 26 during the eco-cyclists ride across Lithuania, the tricolor of Lithuania fluttered again.
In 1988, on September 15 in the town stadium the first meeting of “Sąjūdis” movement of Kėdainiai initiative group was organized.
In 1991 during the Soviet Army aggression in Vilnius two residents of Kėdainiai were killed: Alvydas Kanapinskas and Vytautas Koncevičius.
In 1993 the Soviet Army retreated from the town.
Last Update: 2011-09-29 11:55:36